It can be incredibly frustrating to toss and turn in bed when the thing you want the most is to slip into blessed slumber. Insomnia is often aggravated by the chronic use of medications and an erratic schedule. Here are some tips which should help people with insomnia.
1. Establish a regular sleep schedule. Try to go to sleep at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning.
2. Create a relaxing bedroom environment. Your bedroom should be quiet and relaxing.
3. Remove electronics from the bedroom. TVs and computers should not be in your bedroom.
4. Use your bed only for sleep. Do not read or watch TV while you are in bed.
5. Avoid eating a large meal before bedtime.
6. If you can’t fall asleep after ten minutes, get out of bed and do something in another room until you feel sleepy again.
7. Use relaxation techniques when you lie down to sleep. Here is a great technique which promotes deep relaxation:
Lie on your back in bed. In this exercise you will imagine that parts of your body feel warm and heavy. Once that body part feels warm and heavy, you will move onto the next body part.
“My head feels warm and heavy.”
“My shoulders feel warm and heavy.”
“My chest feels warm and heavy.”
“My arms feel warm and heavy.”
“My hands feel warm and heavy.”
“My belly feels warm and heavy.”
“My hips feel warm and heavy.”
“My legs feel warm and heavy.”
“My feet feel warm and heavy.”