I will start out by saying that I rarely allow myself to snack on foods that are not on my meal plan. However, every once in a while I will get a hankering for something different, and will allow myself to indulge in small yet healthy food items.
Here are some of my favorite snacks:
- 1 cup of Fage nonfat Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon agave nectar, 1/4 cup fresh blueberries or dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup high protein granola
- Lundberg Sesame Tamari rice cake with 1 tablespoon of spicy hummus
- low carb wrap (if I use the P28 wrap I will use 1/2 wrap) with 1 tablespoon of spicy hummus, 3 ounces of shredded chicken, dash of hot sauce and 1/2 cup mixed greens
- low carb wrap with 1-1/2 tablespoons of raw almond butter and 1/2 sliced banana
- 1/2 apple and 1/4 cup raw almonds or raw walnuts
- 1 slice of toasted P28 Bread with 1 tablespoon of raw almond butter
- 1 slice of toasted P28 bread with 1/2 sliced avocado, hot sauce, garlic powder and fresh black pepper
- 1 sliced tomato with several slices of buffalo mozarella and a drizzle of olive oil with fresh black pepper
- Quest Bar
- Protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk and 3-4 ice cubes (EvoPro Chocolate is my favorite)
- pancake made with 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/4 cup dry rolled oats, dash unsweetened almond milk and 3 egg whites
- 4 ounces Hinoichi Firm Tofu scrambled with 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup brown rice, dash of low sodium soy sauce
- 1 inch slice of vegan banana bread (one of these days I will share my secret recipe which I developed and which is moist and DELICIOUS!
The general guideline I use, besides selecting foods I truly love, is to make sure I get a decent amount of protein in each snack. I also make sure that the fat in my meal comes from a healthy source.
I hope this dispels the rumor that snacks cannot be healthy, nutritious or filling.