Anyone who knows me well is aware of the fact that I am consistent about packing clean meals and toting them around with me throughout the day. It can be cumbersome to pack food, especially when I know I will be out of the house for most of the day, but by doing so I have peace of mind knowing that I will be able to stay on track with my meal plan no matter what. Competitors and fitness professionals practice this habit and can attest to the power of clean eating in maintaining a sculpted, muscular physique.
However, I realize that many of you who do not compete or have an involvement in fitness may be wondering if there is any point to packing meals if you are an average person. There are a multitude of benefits to be gained from packing meals for the day:
• Portion Control – If you measure and weigh your portions before placing them into containers, you will have full control over your intake.
• Cooking Method – Steaming, baking, boiling, grilling and poaching are easy cooking methods which also enable you to prepare food without adding unnecessary fat.
• Save Money – By purchasing food at the grocery store and preparing it yourself, you will save a significant amount of money.
• Maintain A Low Sodium Diet – Restaurants often add significant amounts of sodium to enhance the flavor of their dishes. If you are trying to keep your sodium intake low, you are better off preparing your own food.
• Accommodate Medical Dietary Restrictions And Food Allergies – Restaurant meals may add ingredients which are forbidden from your meal plan due to medical conditions or food allergies. Instead of taking a risk, you are better off preparing your meals and packing them with you.
When I worked the Arnold Sports Festival Expo in Columbus, Ohio earlier this month, I made sure to drink plenty of water, filling up my one liter container 3 to 4 times each day. I also brought my Hot Logic Mini with me (https://youtu.be/GQltYTRLTC4) and had meals from Icon Meals (https://iconmeals.com/) with me, and I made sure to consume a meal every 3 hours to keep my energy levels up. If you are committed to living a healthy lifestyle, you will find ways to stay in line!
I always recommend tempered glass storage containers over plastic, since heating up ingredients in most plastic containers carries a risk of deranging the plastic and releasing harmful chemicals into the food. I make an exception with BPA-free containers, and recommend the types which have locking lids to prevent leakage of food.
The BEST meal packing system out there is made by Six Pack Bags:
By adopting the habit of packing your meals, you will be on the road to better health!
You might think that a fitness professional like me isn’t into foods like burgers. I definitely don’t indulge in burgers on a frequent basis, but a well made beef burger is one of my favorite meals on the planet.
Here are my favorite burgers:
Icon Meals Kobe Bacon Burger –
This burger features a large patty of flavorful Kobe beef, bacon strips, and a fried egg. It is served with thick cut sweet potato fries. I add sliced jalapenos to this burger for an absolutely heavenly burger-chomping experience. The Kobe Bacon Burger isn’t always available on the Icon Meals Signature Menu, but when it is, I ALWAYS order a few. These are AMAZING!
Make sure to use my discount code DRNAITO for 10% off!
I love building a burger at The Counter. Usually, I will choose a 1/3 pound beef patty, then add a brioche bun, brie cheese, horseradish aoli, japalenos, mixed greens and guacamole. These are a bit pricey, since they are considered gourmet burgers, but they are so worth it! Delicious!
You can’t go wrong with an In-N-Out Double Double Burger! This is the ONLY fast food burger I will ever eat, and if I want to keep my carbs down, I will order it protein style (i.e., wrapped in lettuce).